"The wife is like the fire, or to put things in their proper proportion, the fire is like the wife.
Like the fire, the woman is expected to cook: not to excel in cooking, but to cook,

.... be a cook, but not a competitive cook,

a school mistress, but not a competitive schoolmistress; a house-decorator but not a competitive house-decorator, etc...
She should have not one trade but twenty hobbies; she... may develop all her second bests.


Women were not kept at home in order to keep them narrow;
on the contrary, they were kept at home in order to keep them broad.
"

G.K. Chesterton, What's Wrong with the World?

June 25, 2013

White Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies

As most of you know, I'm a cookie addict of sorts.
I make cookies probably, oh, three or four times a week.  Because after all, they're for the kids!
And if you believe that I've got a cookie to sell ya.

But I do try to health-ify my cookies in different ways each time.  That way I can justify eating as many of them as I do. Ahem.  I rarely make a batch the same way twice, unless I happen to hit upon a real winner, but even then my curiosity for what will happen if I add a little of this or take out a little of that usually wins over a steady recipe.

So, having a bag of unsalted macadamia nuts on hand (yes, I've heard they have something like the highest fat content of any food on the planet) I decided to make up a new batch, with white chocolate chips of course. 

So this recipe is a variation of this recipe, because as I said, all my cookie recipes are variations of each other, none being able to claim status as "the original." (Yes, I try to keep my cookies' pride levels down too. Unhealthy, pride. :P)


Wheat Free White Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies
 
1 Cup (or a little under) Expeller-pressed Coconut Oil
1/2 Cup Evaporated Cane Juice (I buy by the ten pound bag from Costco)
1/2 Cup coconut sugar
2 Tbs Brown Sugar or Sucanat (optional)
2 tsp Vanilla Extract (Homemade is GOOD!)
2 Flax Eggs
1 Cup Almond Flour
1 Cup Pamela's Gluten Free Flour Blend
1/2 Cup Oat Flour
2 Cups Oats
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt

1 Cup Macadamia Nuts (I used unsalted. I suppose if you use salted you'd have to adjust the added salt amount.)
1 Cup White Chocolate Chips (Totally unhealthy!)

With a mixer, mix up coconut oil and sugars until creamy. (I didn't heat and liquefy my coconut oil first.  In it's natural solid form it creams with the sugars almost like butter would.)
Add vanilla and flax eggs and mix until blended.
Combine flours, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
Add flour mixture to the bowl of the other ingredients and mix until just combined.
Add in oats, nuts, and chocolate chips and stir or mix until combined.

For bars, spread dough about half inch thick onto jelly roll pan (or cookie sheet with sides).
Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until just golden all across top (edges will be a tad darker).

For cookies, place 1-2 tablespoons of dough three or four inches apart on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes (depending on oven and cookie size).

No comments: