"The wife is like the fire, or to put things in their proper proportion, the fire is like the wife.
Like the fire, the woman is expected to cook: not to excel in cooking, but to cook,

.... be a cook, but not a competitive cook,

a school mistress, but not a competitive schoolmistress; a house-decorator but not a competitive house-decorator, etc...
She should have not one trade but twenty hobbies; she... may develop all her second bests.


Women were not kept at home in order to keep them narrow;
on the contrary, they were kept at home in order to keep them broad.
"

G.K. Chesterton, What's Wrong with the World?

March 11, 2014

A Life Changing Loaf of Bread?


A naturopathic doctor I was seeing gave me a link to this recipe:


I'd been on an "elimination diet" to find out what food(s) were so negatively affecting my body. On this diet one temporarily avoids all grains (except quinoa, amaranth, millet, and a couple other ancient varieties), all dairy, nuts, refined sugars, corn, chocolate, soy, eggs, citrus fruits, alcohol, and food additives of any kind. After two or three weeks, one food at a time from the "avoid" list is systematically added, or rather, bombarded (as in, eat that food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner) back in to your diet and you record you body's reactions for a day or two afterward.

Anyway, when I finally could bring back nuts and gluten free oats, she gave me this recipe and told me I was going to love it.  She was right. I've been eating it every morning for breakfast for months.


Funny, a few people I've given a sample to have really liked it and valued it's healthiness. Others hae said something to the effect of "hmmm, tastes healthy." Oh well, some just aren't ready for this.  But when, like me, you hadn't had any sugar or bread or even nuts! for weeks, this tastes very good!

Now for the recipe! It's called...

The Life-Changing Loaf of Bread, from My New Roots.

And you know what? I think that name is just about right. Pop a couple slices into the toaster.
Spread on some raw honey or jam or pesto, and let the life changing (diet-wise) begin.



Oh, and those little red things you see in my loaves are dried goji berries.  Just throw anything in.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks amazing! It's on my do-try list for Thursday. Thanks for sharing. I'm also very interested in all your "sprouting" efforts. I'd be pleased as punch to glean all your how-to's.

Leah said...

I just finished my soaked flour loaves and they turned out great. That's my next post. :S

Trust me, you'll like the nut bread.

Joe and Grace said...

I like it with slices of nectarine on top. Thank you for the recipe, Leah.